President Andrew Hall of the Scottish Piping Society of London: The SPSL committee has been very active over the last few months in planning for this year’s London Competition. We are pleased to announce details of the event below.
Notice for Entries to the Annual London Competition
Date Saturday November 4th 2017
Venue Kensington Conference Centre, London
Closing date for entries September 30th 2017. Late entries will not be accepted.
Premier grade events
- Piobaireachd: Am Bratach Gorm (7 tunes submitted with entry)
- Piobaireachd: William Gillies Cup (6 tunes to be submitted with entry) (NB: the Gillies Cup is also open to A grade pipers)
- MSR: London Medallion & John MacFadyen Quaich (6 of each tune to be submitted with entry, TWO of each to be played) (NB: ref entry criteria 5 below)
- March: P/M JB Robertson Silver Rose Bowl (6 of each to be submitted with entry, selected tune to be played ONCE). (NB: the March competition does NOT contribute to the overall prize)
- Hornpipe & Jig: Mary Flora Beaton Cup (3 of each to be submitted with entry)
A & B+ graded events (NB: ref entry criteria 6 below)
- Piobaireachd: RG Lawrie Rams Horn Snuff Mull (submit 6 tunes on the day)
- MSR: Strachan Memorial (submit 4 of each on the day)
- Hornpipe & Jig: Donald Forbes Medal (own choice)
B grade events (NB: ref entry criteria 6 below)
- Piobaireachd: John Roe Plate (submit 4 tunes on the day)
- MSR: London Scottish Hodden Grey Trophy (submit 3 of each on the day)
- Hornpipe & Jig: Hugh MacMillan Trophy (own choice)
C grade events
- Piobaireachd: National Piping Centre Trophy (submit 3 tunes on the day)
- MSR: PM Robert Crabb BEM Trophy (submit 3 of each on the day)
- Hornpipe & Jig: Trophy (own choice)
- Piobaireachd: (own choice)
- MSR: British Airways Pipe Band Trophy (own choice)
- Slow Air & Jig: Highlands & Islands Society Trophy (own choice)
Amateur Clasp events will all be administered via the CLASP website.
- Event entry follows the established grading system. E.g., those graded B for light music by the CPA will be expected to play in the B grade light music.
- Formers winners of London eventssince 2009 will be expected to play in the next level event at London.
- Winners from the 2017 events at the Argyllshire Gathering or Northern Meeting will be expected to play in the next level event at London.
- The Bratach Gorm is open only to gold medal winners or previous winners of the Gillies Cup at London.
- In the event of a large entry in the premier MSR event the SPSL committee may elect for the MSR to be played once through only. If this occurs pipers will be notified in advance.
- In previous years the A grade events had a low entry compared to a much larger B grade. From 2017 all pipers graded B+ will be required to enter for the RG Lawrie Rams Horn Snuff Mull only (where graded B+ for Piobaireachd), and the Strachan Memorial & Donald Forbes Medal only (where graded B+ for light music).
- Please contact the SPSL committee for any uncertainty on which events to enter.
Entries accepted via email or post. Via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Via post to: Andrew Hall, Fettykil, 11 Beech Ave., Glasgow G41 5BY
Entry fee of £40 to cover all events entered. Juvenile entry is free. Payment of entry fees is required in advance by direct bank transfer or via paypal (details below). Please note that entries will not be accepted without payment of entry fee.
Payment: By bank transfer to sort code 16-00-15 account 23119520 account name Scottish Piping Society of London. By PayPal to email@example.com. Please include your name as payment reference.
Hotel Accommodation: The SPSL have a negotiated a discounted room rate with the Copthorne Tara Hotel. Quote code BARC031117 to obtain the discounted rate (£100 per room per night for double/twin occupancy, £90 per room per night for single occupancy). The discounted rate will be available subject to room availability.
Any queries: firstname.lastname@example.org