World Champion Pipe Major Joins Composing Competition Judging Panel

P/M Stuart Liddell of Inveraray & District Pipe Band has joined the judging panel for the composing competition for a tune to commemorate war hero John Cruickshank VC. 

Other members of the panel are P/M Ian McLellan, formerly of Strathclyde Police Pipe Band and a winner of 12 World titles, P/M Richard Parkes of Field Marshal Montgomery Pipe Band who also has 12 Worlds titles to his credit, and Piping Press Editor Robert Wallace (chair).

P/M Liddell is also a Worlds winner taking the 2017 title at Glasgow Green. He is renowned as a solo piper winning all the main prizes at the great gatherings at Oban and Inverness. He also markets his own range of the much sought after MacRae Bagpipes replicating his own set of original MacRae pipes.

Judges Ian McLellan, Richard Parkes, Stuart Liddell and Robert Wallace

P/M Liddell said: ‘I am honoured to have been asked to join Richard, Ian and Robert on the panel for this competition. Mr Cruickshank’s story is incredible and I am sure composers will rise to the challenge of composing a suitable pipe march in his name.’

Entries for the competition are already coming in. These will be sent anonymously to the adjudicators who will be asked to select their top three. From these a winner will be chosen.

The competition is sponsored by the Royal Northern & University Club, Aberdeen, and Piping Press. There is one prize: £1,000.

The competition is for a pipe march of any time signature, of any duration, but one that should be uplifting and reflect Mr Cruickshank’s home city and his bravery during his time with the Royal Air Force Coastal Command.

All manuscripts should be emailed in PDF format to Name, home address, mobile number and email address to be included on manuscript. Accompanying sound files welcome. Hand written manuscripts acceptable. No submissions can be returned nor comment offered thereon. The judges’ decision is final. Closing date for entries is November 30. No late entries accepted. One submission only per composer. The winner will be announced on Piping Press in early January 2019. In the unlikely event of entries being of an insufficient standard the committee reserves the right to withhold the prize.

Copyright of tunes will remain with the composer but it is a condition of entry that the composer allows his/her tune to be published and performed on Piping Press. It is anticipated that a framed copy of the tune will be presented to Mr Cruickshank at a special ceremony at the Royal Northern and University Club at which the tune will be played and to which the composer will be invited.

The competition was announced at a special lunch at the club celebrating 100 years of the RAF. Mr Cruickshank (98) attended.

Mr Cruickshank’s inspirational story reads: Within a year [of the outbreak of war], on his father’s suggestion, he joined the Territorial Army, enlisting in the Royal Artillery in May 1939; he served there until the summer of 1941 when he transferred to the RAF. He underwent flight training in Canada and the United States earning his wings in July 1942. After further training, he was assigned, in March 1943, to No. 210 Squadron piloting Catalina flying boats from RAF Sullom Voe, used by Coastal Command in its battle to keep the North Atlantic and Arctic sea lanes open for supply convoys.

Flying Officer Cruickshank was twenty-four years old when he piloted a Consolidated Catalina anti-submarine flying boat from Sullom Voe on 17 July 1944 on a patrol north into the Norwegian Sea. The objective was to protect the British Home Fleet as it returned from an unsuccessful raid on the German battleship Tirpitz. There the ‘Cat’ caught a German U-boat on the surface. At this point in the war U-boats had been fitted with anti-aircraft guns. FO Cruickshank attacked the U-boat flying his Catalina through a hail of flak. His first pass was unsuccessful, his depth charges not releasing. He brought the aircraft around for a second pass, this time straddling the U-boat and sinking it. All 52 crew members were lost.

An artist’s impression of the attack

The German anti-aircraft fire had been deadly accurate, killing the Catalina’s navigator and injuring four crew, including both FO Cruickshank and, less seriously, second pilot Flight Sergeant Jack Garnett. John Cruickshank was hit in 72 (seventy-two) places with two serious wounds to his lungs and ten penetrating wounds to his lower limbs. Despite this, he refused medical attention until he was sure that the appropriate radio signals had been sent and the aircraft was on course for its home base. Even then, he refused morphine, aware that it would cloud his judgement.

Flying through the night, it took the damaged Catalina five and a half hours to return to Sullom Voe, with F Sgt. Garnett at the controls and FO Cruickshank lapsing in and out of consciousness in the back. FO Cruickshank then returned to the cockpit and took command of the aircraft again. Deciding that the light and the sea conditions for a water landing were too risky for the inexperienced F Sgt.Garnett, he kept the flying boat in the air circling for an extra hour until he considered it safe to land on the water. This done, the aircraft was taxied to an area where it could be safely beached.

When an RAF medical officer boarded the aircraft he discovered FO Cruickshank had lost a great deal of blood and had to give him a transfusion before he was stable enough to be transferred to hospital. John Cruickshank’s injuries were such that he never flew in command of an aircraft again. For his actions in sinking the U-boat and saving his crew he received the Victoria Cross, while Flight Sergeant Jack Garnett received the Distinguished Flying Medal.

The Victoria Cross citation reads: ‘The KING has been graciously pleased to confer the VICTORIA CROSS on the undermentioned officer in recognition of most conspicuous bravery: This officer was the captain and pilot of a Catalina flying boat which was recently engaged on an anti-submarine patrol over northern waters. When a U-boat was sighted on the surface, Flying Officer Cruickshank at once turned to the attack. In the face of fierce anti-aircraft fire he manoeuvred into position and ran in to release his depth charges. Unfortunately they failed to drop.

Flying Officer John Cruickshank during his RAF service

‘Flying Officer Cruickshank knew that the failure of this attack had deprived him of the advantage of surprise and that his aircraft offered a good target to the enemy’s determined and now heartened gunners.

‘Without hesitation, he climbed and turned to come in again. The Catalina was met by intense and accurate fire and was repeatedly hit. The navigator/bomb aimer, was killed. The second pilot and two other members of the crew were injured. Flying Officer Cruickshank was struck in seventy-two places, receiving two serious wounds in the lungs and ten – penetrating wounds in the lower limbs. His aircraft was badly damaged and filled with the fumes of exploding shells. But he did not falter. He pressed home his attack, and released the depth charges himself, straddling the submarine perfectly. The U-boat was sunk.

‘He then collapsed and the second pilot took over the controls. He recovered shortly afterwards and, though bleeding profusely, insisted on resuming command and retaining it until he was satisfied that the damaged aircraft was under control, that a course had been set for base and that all the necessary signals had been sent. Only then would he consent to receive medical aid and have his wounds attended to. He refused morphia in case it might prevent him from carrying on.

‘During the next five and a half hours of the return flight he several times lapsed into unconsciousness owing to loss of blood. When he came to his first thought on each occasion was for the safety of his aircraft and crew. The damaged aircraft eventually reached base but it was clear that an immediate landing would be a hazardous task for the wounded and less experienced second pilot. Although able to breathe only with the greatest difficulty, Flying Officer Cruickshank insisted on being carried forward and propped up in the second pilot’s seat.

‘For a full hour, in spite of his agony and ever-increasing weakness, he gave orders as necessary, refusing to allow the aircraft to be brought down until the conditions of light and sea made this possible without undue risk. With his assistance the aircraft was safely landed on the water. He then directed the taxying and beaching of the aircraft so that it could easily be salvaged. When the medical officer went on board, Flying Officer Cruickshank collapsed and he had to be given a blood transfusion before he could be removed to hospital.

‘By pressing home the second attack in his gravely wounded condition and continuing his exertions on the return journey with his strength failing all the time, he seriously prejudiced his chance of survival even if the aircraft safely reached its base. Throughout, he set an example of determination, fortitude and devotion to duty in keeping with the highest traditions of the Service.’

John left the RAF in September 1946 to return to his career in banking; he retired from this in 1977. In March 2004 HM The Queen unveiled the first national monument to Coastal Command at Westminster Abbey, London. John said in an interview after the ceremony: ‘When they told me that I was to get the VC it was unbelievable. Decorations didn’t enter my head.’ Four VCs were awarded to Coastal Command in the war; the others were posthumous. John is now vice chairman of The Victoria Cross and George Cross Association.

The Victoria Cross (VC) is the highest award of the British honours system. It is awarded for gallantry ‘in the presence of the enemy’ to members of the British Armed Forces. It may be awarded posthumously. The first awards were presented by Queen Victoria in 1857 for acts of valour in the Crimean War. The medal has been awarded 1,358 times to 1,355 individual recipients. Only 15 medals, 11 to members of the British Army and four to the Australian Army, have been awarded since the Second World War. Two thirds of all awards have been personally presented by the British monarch. These investitures are usually held at Buckingham Palace.

[wds id=”2″]

Posted in News   

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *